- Be, the visitor (in best Chevy Chase as Ty Webb voice)
What is it they want anyhow?
- K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple S)
Don't Add To Many Features
- Content Is King
One of my favorites and so true.
- Details, Details, Details
All the elements should work together. (graphics, colors, layout, navigation, and content)
- Pave the way
Navigation and Organization are key.
Inspired by Prone Advertising.
Here is some more good advise on web design at Application Generation
Decide on Navigation and Stick To It
Large sites need secondary navigation
Keep Navigation Consistent
Use conventions people are familiar with.
- Design in the limits of HTML
HTML has limitiations. Don't fight them.
- Screen Resolution
These change. Think about it.
- Design Navigation for Flexibility
Create a site map.
- Design Layout for Flexibility
Usually have landing page layout, and a content page layout.
Summary: Get a sitemap, decide on a navigation approach, agree a screen resolution and remember that you don’t control the length of the pages.
Of course, it's limited to windows, doesn't have the selection of exstenions Firefox has, the phishing filter sends info to MS, etc.etc.etc. But at least it's usable.
Microsoft is in a bad way and it shows in their products. I posted this on another blog, the Internet Outsider during a discussion of Googles over-inflated stock price. I thought it was good, so here it is...
- Why buy Office when I can use Open Office?
- Why buy Office when I can use Google Office?
- Why buy MS OS when I just use the Internet?
- My kids don't buy games and load them on the PC anymore, they play sophisticated flash games across the internet. My kids have sat down at an Ubuntu machine and not even realized they weren't on a MS OS.
- Why invest in MS when all they have are promises about the next generation and nothing to show for it today?
- Why should I develop stuff for MS OS when all they do is compete with me if I become too successful?
- Why should I pay MS a licensing fee to load MS stuff on my hardware when my customer doesn't care as long as my device works?